The kitchen gods are not with me today. I started my Sunday-morning cooking with making mozzarella, which ended up as oily blob in my saucepan. I’ve made it many times using the same recipe but today it just didn’t come together.
Additionally, my oven seemed to have gone bonkers. I was preheating the oven in preparation of making a vegan quiche and the oven started to smoke. Even after reducing the temperature and running the exhaust, the oven kept smoking and all smoke detectors were set off. Poor kitties….. I decided that the quiche wasn’t going to be on the menu either, until someone could come and check the oven.
I had already made a chickpea batter and some aquafaba was being whisked in the kitchenmachine, which was meant to go in the quiche. So instead, I made chocolate mousse with the aquafaba and savory chickpea pancakes with the batter. Here is the recipe for savory pancakes. I will make a separate posting for the chocolate mousse.
Savory chickpea pancakes with spinach (gluten free)
1 1/4 cup chickpea flour ( I buy mine at an Indian store)
1.5 cups water
1 tsp salt
2 tsp garam masala
2 TBS dried onion flakes
Neutral tasting oil
250 grams fresh spinach
1) Wilt spinach in a saucepan, drain the liquid, and immediately place spinach in icebath for a couple of minutes
2) Remove spinach from icebath and squeeze out all the water. Roughly chop and set aside
3) Prepare batter by combining all ingredients (except spinach, oil, and onion pickle). Stir until complete smooth.
4) Drizzle a bit of oil in a skillet and place on medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, pour in a ladle of batter and spread evenly. Adjust heat to medium. Once the top of the pancake is dry, flip over and cook until the bottom is nice and golden. Place on a plate.
5) Repeat for other 3 pancakes.
6) To plate, add several table spoons of chopped spinach to a pancake, roll up, and cut in half.
7) Serve with some onion pickle.
Happy vegan cooking and eating!
Leave a Reply